COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014 to carry out a rapid evaluation of the most relevant constraints suffered by the Internally Displaced People (IDPs) displaced by the food crisis and the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin.
COOPI’s aim is to support the most basic and pressing needs of communities affected by the violence. Despite the challenges presented by the security situation and the remoteness of the area, COOPI is providing a multi-sectoral emergency response to the victims of Boko Haram focused on food security, nutrition, protection and education.
- Job Title: Area Coordinator
- Location: Yobe State, Nigeria
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Category: NGO, Health
Scope of the Vacancy
In close cooperation with all the different positions in place at Country Coordination level, the Area Coordinator is responsible for the overall management of quality of program, staff management, logistics, security, finance and procedures’ respect. Delegated by the Head of Mission, he/she represents COOPI with donors, institutions, NGOs, local government and international agencies available in the area. He/she guarantees the correct project implementation and the donors’ procedures respect. He/she cooperates with the Head of Mission in the definition of the Country Strategy and intervention priorities for its area of competence.
- Institutional relations: Delegated by the Head of Mission, he/she manages relations with institutional donors and potential ones. In coordination with the Head of Mission, he/she represents COOPI in its area of competence through relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations, and partners. He/she is also responsible for the Organization’s reputation in the area.
- New opportunities identification: He/she verifies and proposes to the Head of Mission the intervention priorities to consolidate new opportunities of involvement in the area. He/she cooperates with the Head of Mission in the identification of new project opportunities in his/her area of competence. Delegated by the Head of Mission he/she participates to the elaboration of the strategy for his/her area of intervention.
- Project management and strategy: Always referring to the Head of Mission and in coordination with the Project Managers, he/she coordinates and directly supervises projects, guaranteeing their correct implementation in conformity with contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with the COOPI’s procedures and management standards. He/she coordinates the elaboration, writing, and necessary documents preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Head of Mission. He/she is responsible for the preparation of projects’ reports and all monitoring documents requested by the coordination office. He/she ensures that all official and administrative documents are transmitted to the Country Coordination.
- Country office management: He/she is responsible for all different aspects linked to the country office management: economic and financial situation, logistics, and local staff management, in conformity with the organization’s guidelines. He/she guarantees the Country Regulation and the respect of the organization’s procedures.
- Staff management: He/she is responsible for the local staff management and training, in his/her area of competence, in close cooperation with the relative functions at Country Coordination level, whose indications he/she follows. He/she coordinates the expatriate staff, monitoring their activities, and participates to the staff evaluation, together with the Head of Mission.
- Safety: He/she is responsible for the expatriate staff security in the area, and for the correct implementation and respect of the general security regulation. Economic and financial management: He/she is responsible for the economic management of his/her area of competence. He/she supervises the financial management and, in cooperation with the Area Coordination
- Administrator and the Administrative Coordinator: he/she participates to the preparation of coordination and projects’ budgets. He/she ensures – through the administrative function – the respect of financial reporting deadlines and the organization/donor’s procedures.
- Advanced degree in International Education, International Development, Health and Nutrition or a related field or equivalent work.
- Minimum 3 years experience in the humanitarian field and in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO is an advantage;
- Desirable experience of working on EU/ECHO, USAid/OFDA, UN and Italian Cooperation;
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management.
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid driving license.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply.
- All application must be submitted online on or before the 28th of August, 2017
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview
- Please send CV and cover letter with 3 references.