International Medical Corps has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013. It currently has its country office in Abuja and field offices in Kano, Sokoto, Damboa , Dikwa and Maiduguri where it is implementing emergency Water, Sanitation, Hygiene (WASH) and Protection programs, and also building capacity of local health systems and structures, ensuring the provision of quality, accessible Nutrition and Health Care. Currently IMC Nigeria has 7 field offices with more than 200 staff with a possibility of further growth.
International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Study Nutrition Assistant to be based in its Sokoto Office
- Job Title: Vacancy for a Study Nutrition Assistant
- Location: Sokoto State, Nigeria
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Category: Health, NGO
International Medical Corps (IMC), in collaboration with the Harvard School of Public Health (USA) and Epicentre (France), will be supporting a research study, “Reducing the frequency of follow up and task sharing in the treatment of uncomplicated severe acute malnutrition.” The aim of the research study is to test a new model of care, using a monthly schedule of follow-up with caregiver support for at-home surveillance in the treatment of uncomplicated severe acute malnutrition (SAM). The research study will be conducted in Sokoto state (Wamako and Binji LGAs) beginning in June 2017.
IMC seeks to recruit Study Nutrition Assistant to implement study activities at selected health centers. Study Nutrition Assistants will be responsible for the correct implementation of study procedures at the study site and coordination with study and partner staff (IMC and SMoH) to ensure proper application of the study protocol and national CMAM guidelines. This position will be based at a single outpatient therapeutic program (OTP) site but can include travel to community locations as needed.
- Contribute to study activities, with the support and supervision of study nurses, including but not limited to:
- Deliver educational sessions for caregiver home surveillance (5 sites with monthly follow-up only)
- Assure adherence to correct schedule of outpatient follow-up (e.g. monthly vs. weekly) as per site assignment
- Support IMC nurse supervisor, care group promoters and community volunteers to ensure appropriate home follow-up of children based on the study protocol
- Work closely with study staff, SMoH staff and IMC nutrition officer to ensure correct implementation of study procedures and national CMAM protocol, including admission/discharge criteria
- Support care group promoters and community volunteers to ensure appropriate home follow-up of children based on the study protocol
- Organize and securely maintain all individual records on site until child discharge
- Prepare and record individual records to be transferred for data entry at discharge
- Complete study questionnaires on a daily basis and ensure data collected is complete, consistent and accurate
- Maintain close communication with study staff and IMC staff to track study progress, monitor logistical needs/study supplies at site, and anticipate challenges
- Ensure respect for the dignity of CMAM beneficiaries, study participants and program staff
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bsc in community health extension or any degree in Food science and other related natural sciences and over One (1)years’ experience in nutrition/CMAM programming.
- Junior community health extension worker with over three (3) years’ experience in CMAM programmes
- Valid and current practicing license
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of IMC’s aims, values and principles
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive
- Ability to respect confidentiality of data collected and dignity of participants/ beneficiaries is essential
- Extremely flexible, motivated and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Experience with research is a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, and spreadsheets
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply.
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email.
- Application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- All applications should be addressed to the Human Resource Manager, International Medical Corps, and should be received on or before the 25th of August, 2017
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted